Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dingle, Ireland

Where to begin?
Belgium, West of Ireland, Spain?
I'll start with the West Coast of Ireland :)

So one day my two roommates and I decide to take a 7 hour bus trip across Ireland to a little place known as the Dingle Peninsula.
With not many main roads leading there the journey took a while but passed fairly quickly. About half way there I passed out and when I woke up my two roommates (Laura and Miranda) and I were in the little seaside town of Dingle. Unfortunately we did not see Fungi, the bottle nosed dolphin who has lived in Dingle Bay for over 20 years.
Our hostel was a friendly little house named the Rainbow Hostel fifteen minutes walk from the centre of the town. Two cats named Gypsy and Eway shared our beds with us at night and ate with us in the little kitchen that was warmed by a wood stove. Our first day there I realized I'd forgotten any other pants other than the UNH sweatpants I'd worn on the 7 hour bus ride. So, for the next three days I wore only those pants. After searching for pants and failing to find any we picked up as many snacks as we could from the grocery store along with a pizza and snacked all night in the hostel while watching Hocus Pocus.
The next day was rainy and windy so we decided to stay indoors, only leaving the hostel to get more food to pig out on.
The third day there we woke up to more rain but decided we needed to make the most of our time anyway. Following the path behind the hostel for twenty minutes we came to the Dingle Horseback riding stables. In my sweatpants, winter jacket, and riding boots, and helmet I hopped onto my horse named Blasket- named after an island off the peninsula. My roommate Miranda was the only one of the three of us who'd ever rode before so she was given the old lady horse who was stubborn as hell.
After heading up the foggy hillside which would normally provide riders with a beautiful view of the ocean the guide told us it was time to do some "trots". Let me just say that if that was a trot...I don't know how people stay on these massive horses when they are running at full speed. With snot dripping from my nose, my hair in my eyes, rain smacking me in the face and my legs flailing, I could not have been having more fun. :)
In the last ten minute stretch of the ride while passing along field after field the guide pointed to the side of the road, just behind a stone wall and near a few bushes. Right before us were to baby lambs and their mother who had just been born minutes before. The blood from the birth was still fresh on their dirty white wool and only one of the two tiny lambs was able to walk. On the walk back after saying goodbye to our horses we were able to take a few photos of the babies who by now were both running circles around their tired momma sheep.
A car pulled along side us on our soaking wet walk back to our hostel and a nice couple with their little girl offered the three of us a ride, which we graciously accepted. Back at the hostel we learned we would be sharing the room for the last night with a girl named Michelle who was traveling on her own across Mexico and Europe for a few months. Our last night there we spent talking with her in front of the wood burning stove and sharing snacks in the kitchen before heading out the next morning back to Dublin.
Dingle was magical.

Next stop: Bundoran for surfing!

Cheers,
Sam <3 xo